I really enjoy hearing from new tea shops and reviewing some of their tea. Today, I’m trying a first flush Darjeeling from The Tea Experience, an online tea shop located in Doncaster, South Yorkshire. The Tea Experience not only stocks a variety of teas, but they carry teaware and accessories.
This review is also well timed since Makaibari tea has recently made a big media splash. A silver tips Makaibari recently became the most expensive Indian tea ever sold.
– The dry leaf consists of medium-sized leaves that range in colour from black to brown to light green
– It has a bright, floral aroma
– The tea cups out a golden liquor that has a floral aroma
– It is a light to medium-bodied tea that has very little astringency. The liquor has a muscatel flavour with floral and lemony undertones. It is a bright cup of tea
– Infuse this tea with 90 to 95C water for two to three minutes. You will get two to three infusions. Drink without milk
– I make no secret of my love for first flush Darjeelings. One thing that really attracts me to first flushes is how much they can vary in flavour. Unlike many first flushes that might best be described as crispy and dry, this Darjeeling from The Tea Experience is more bright and smooth. It has a floral and lemony edge that leaves a refreshing aftertaste. Some first flushes leave a dry mouthfeel, but not this one
– This tea is great value for money (see prices below). It tastes special, and its excellent pricing means that it could be a wonderful everyday tea
Retail price: 50 grams for £4.95 / 100 grams for £8.50 / 250 grams for £19.00