– Tea: Certified First Flush Darjeeling tea (FTGFOP 1) from Dhajea, Lingia, Marybong, Nagri Farm, Phoobsering
– Sample provided by: Teekampagne in Potsdam, Germany
– Retail price: 8.00€ for 250 grams / 26.00€ for 1000 grams
– Link to Teekampagne First Flush on website
– The dry is well sorted, no highly broken bits, but it does have a nice scattering of some larger leaves
– It is not especially aromatic
– Colour of the first infusion liquor is a light green; the second infusion is darker
– a cup colour similiar to a gunpowder green tea
– Unlike the dry leaf, the brewed tea is wonderfully aromatic
– The liquor has a pronounced muscatel flavour, although it is less floral than some first flushes I have tried. It has a smooth beginning and a pleasantly dry and bitter end – which leaves the taste lingering on your palate, similar to a dry wine
– Turn off your kettle just as the water starts to boil. Let it cool for at least a minute before pouring on the tea leaves
– Steep for 2.5 minutes and serve WITHOUT milk or sugar
– Get at least two infusions out of this tea. I’ve found that the second infusion is my favourite, as the flavour of the tea is softer and smoother – a bit more refined.
– I have had more aromatic and flavourful first flush Darjeelings, but they came with very high price tags. If you seek an everyday Darjeeling that is great value for money whilst offering flavour notes that you would find in pricier Darjeelings, I would highly recommend that you give Teekampagne a try.